Thursday, November 20, 2008

My New Machine

It's here. It's finally here.

I think that calls for a celebration.

The store on ebay that I ordered my sewing machine from only ships Tuesday and Friday. Since I ordered by machine Wednesday morning, I (falsely) assumed that meant it would go out on Friday. I had it shipped to my hubby, b/c it was easier (for me ;-). Since Monday, I've been hassling my husband to check the mail room at his work. The poor man was hopelessly tormented for days. I finally got a shipment notification and tracking number Tuesday. It said expect a Wednesday delivery. You have not idea how many times I went to the fedex site to see if they had delivered it. I sent my husband like five emails too (make that six).

They went something like this:

Is it here? Is it? Is it?!!!!!

It’s still on the truck, but it’s on the way!

The fedex site says it’s still on the truck. I hope it gets there in time. They’ll send it back to the warehouse if no one is there to get it. Sighhh.

Did you get it? I show it was delivered at 4:16.

And when he balked at the weight:

You can do it babe. 26 lbs is nothing for my strong tough guy. You could lift it with your pinkie toe.

Hey, I can't help it if I choose a super man. It's his fault for being strong, not mine, lol. There is no way I could lug that thing down the three flights of stairs at my work (or the elevator, but who's saying...)

Later in the evening, I finally got a chance to break out the box in try it. It was pack in tons of styrofoam peanuts. I made a mess. While I was cleaning it up, my husband was busy [messing] with the machine and took it out of the case. He was excited as I was (maybe an overstatement but he's not saying :-).

I was up super late the night before. Yes, I know it was a school night. I totally need to be grounded and sent to my sleep a long, long time. It was a for a good cause and a future post. I pledged to only play with it for twenty minutes before heading to bed. I mostly stuck to it. I'm very proud of myself.

I got it all set up on my coffee table. I know. I know. It's not at all an appropriate table. My back would hate me. It's a temporay make shift. My go to table, a tv tray isn't much better. I would love this cart.

It's fairly reasonable, but we have no space for it in our tiny apartment. None at all. Not to mention it's on sale for 3x more than my machine. That's a big no no in my husband's book. Believe me, I even tried. There are some things you just have to let go. I'll probably use my kitchen table for serious sewing time.

Once, I got it up and running, I used a trick my sewing instructor taught me to test it out. I used paper instead of fabric. That's of the mill print/copy paper. It's a disposible, easy, and cheap way to practice. Try it sometime.

The new machine works great. I'm very pleased. Tonight, I'll go home and work on the bag I never got to finish. I might even make a second.

No comments: